Getting It Right For Every Child
The Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) initiative ensures that anyone providing family support puts the child’s best interests at the centre of their approach. It is about improving outcomes for children and ensuring that all agencies responsible for this respond appropriately to any needs and risks.
The current benefits of using this approach are:
- Children’s needs are being identified at an earlier stage
- There is a shift towards meeting the needs of more children through early intervention via universal services
- Fewer planning meetings
- Resources are used in a more targeted way
- Young people and their families are more likely to attend planning and review meetings.
Children and families report the benefits of the GIRFEC approach as follows:
- All involved parties feel like they have a clearer idea of what is going on, what is intended and what will happen. In other words, affected families are truly included in the process and are therefore more receptive to help.
- Families understand what action they can take to help their children
- Children and families have a point of contact that they can turn to whenever they have a concern (i.e. a Named person) and someone who has an overall responsibility for their plan (i.e. a Lead professional). This is a wonderful alternative to contacting multiple services and people to enquire and resolve different elements of their support package.
“We all have a role to play in making this happen – as families, as communities, as a society. We want to ensure that services are designed and available to children and families to give them the support they need in the right way, at the right time.”
Aileen Campbell, Minister for Children and Young People